Ian Cull’s Story
In 1995, I was finishing up my Environmental Engineering degree at the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, and was looking for an internship. I landed a job with Chelsea Group, Ltd., one of the few indoor air quality consulting firms in existence at the time. I worked with them as I finished my degree and then again after graduation. I took a long time off to volunteer on water projects in Kenya, but then came back to Chelsea Group.
In 2001, I taught my first indoor air quality class. I loved it. I always had a knack for explaining things in an understandable manner… maybe because my dad was an educator. Through 2004, I balanced my time between performing indoor air quality assessments and teaching classes across the country for Chelsea Group.
In 2004, Chelsea Group’s headquarters moved to Hawaii and the owner allowed me to spin off my training and consulting into a new company. Indoor Science was born!
Both my consulting and training work really started to take off. I became a sought after speaker on indoor air quality topics. In 2006 I was elected to the Board of Directors of the Indoor Air Quality Association. I later went on to serve as the organization’s vice-president from 2008-2011. From 2011-2013, I was hired by the association to serve as its first Technical Director. During my tenure, I authored 50 classes on a wide range of air quality topics which are currently available for purchase through the IAQA University. I also helped launch the association’s YouTube channel. I’m currently the chairman of the IAQA Research Committee.
I spend half of my time supervising and reviewing our project work. The other half of my time is teaching classes and publishing content. Here are some company highlights:
- Our clients include NASA, the US Department of State, Los Alamos National Laboratory, US Navy and Army, as well as several Fortune 500 companies.
- I have taught air quality courses in China, India, Malaysia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Sweden, and multiple Caribbean islands.
- In 2017, I wrote a book Fundamentals of Mold Remediation.
- Over 5,000 people subscribe to my monthly newsletters.
- I have served as an expert witness on federal court cases related to mold and indoor air quality.
- Our company has been featured in both local and national news.
I say all this not to brag, but to give you the assurance that you are hiring a firm that cares about performing quality work to the highest of standards, no matter how small the project.